Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin, Oh Martin

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. When my daughter, Hannah, was in 4th grade, she wrote a poem about Dr. King for the school poetry contest. The year before, she recited a piece by Shel Silverstein, "Millie McDevitt screamed a scream so loud it made her eyebrows steam!", which is forever etched in my memory, hopefully, that is. She was quite proud of her writing, her daring performance, and her shiny plastic trophy. So was I.

Whenever I see young people perform on stage, I get choked up. Singing gets to me too, in a good way. There's something about using one's voice which I really admire, and fear, which sometimes keeps me from speaking up, being seen, or living to my "full potential" boils from within, sticks in my throat, and leaks out my eyes.

I remember spending a lot of time in 2nd grade working on a diarama for a book report (The Mellops Go Flying, by Tomi Ungerer). When I brought my foil covered egg carton airplane up to the front of the class, I felt sick, gazed blankly at my fellow second graders, started crying, and went and sat down, dejected. At times I've been more proactive about facing my fear of public speaking, such as while chairman of the Delaware chapter of the Sierra Club, leading a workshop on "Changing Your Life with Affirmations", attending Toastmasters, or more recently, involving myself with a local ZEGG Forum.

I have a dream, that not only will society see its people as equals, but that we will see ourselves as creative and worthy of our own dreams. Thank you to Martin Luther King, Jr. and those brave souls up on stages and soap boxes everywhere.

I'll leave you with Hannah's poem. Enjoy.

Martin, Oh Martin by Hannah Machiorlete

Martin, oh Martin
I know you hate this sight
When a person can do better things
Just because they're white.

Martin, oh Martin
I'm very amazed
How you can think of a good speech
In just a few days.

Martin, oh Martin
You are so bright
You got out of school early
You tried with all your might.

Martin, oh Martin
You would be in a hall of fame
I admire the things you did
I wish I were the same.

Martin, oh Martin
You march with your heart
You march with black people
That's a perfect start.

Martin, oh Martin
There has been a dream in you
This to make your spirits soar
Your dream has come true.

Aloha,
Jeanie

2 comments:

  1. Hannah created a beautiful poem. Very good for someone much older than her.

    As we get older and find our voice and feel our worth, or at least are not worried what others think, the new found freedom to speak and express is so overwhelming when thinking back to the years of time we held back.

    All things having a reason, we must find that our ability to communicate comes through once we have built our capacity to listen.

    ReplyDelete